As the weather warms up more and more fruits and vegetables become available. This means more opportunities to enjoy delicious salads. Here are three tasty and healthy spring salad recipes to try.
#1 Strawberry Spinach Salad
Spinach is rich in nutrients, and the strawberries add a nice sweet touch to this tasty salad.
* 12 ounces of fresh baby spinach
* ½ thinly sliced red onion
* Crumbled Chevre or goat cheese
* Chopped walnuts
Poppy Seed Dressing Ingredients:
* 1/2 cup cider vinegar
* 1 table spoon minced onion
* 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup vegetable oil
* 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
* Honey to taste
Combine dressing ingredients and whisk well. Toss baby spinach with dressing. Place on the serving plate. Sprinkle walnuts, strawberries and Chevre on top of the salad. Eat and enjoy!
#2 Cucumber Avocado Tomato Salad
Avocados are packed with healthy fats, and they taste decadent. This salad is quick to prepare and tasty tool
* 2 medium tomatoes seeded and diced
* 1 avocado, diced
* 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
* 1 table spoon lime juice
* 1 teaspoon Italian herb salad dressing mix or Italian mixed spices.
To a medium bowl, add chopped cucumber, tomato, and avocado.
In a small dish combine olive oil, lime juice and herbs/salad dressing mix. Whisk until well combined. Pour over chopped vegetables and serve immediately.
#3 Tasty Nut and Pear Salad
This pleasant spring salad combines the flavors of both fresh and dried fruits with the savory flavors of nuts and Swiss cheese.
* 1 (16-oz.) package romaine lettuce
* 6-oz. Swiss cheese
* 1 cup roasted, salted cashew
* 1 large apple, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
* 1 large pear, cored and thinly sliced
Poppy Seed Dressing Ingredients
* 2/3 cup light olive oil
* Honey to taste, approximately ¼ cup
* 1/3 cup lemon juice
* 1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
* 2 teaspoons finely chopped onion
* 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Combine salad ingredients in a large bowl. In a smaller dish blend dressing ingredients until smooth. You can use a blender or whisk by hand, whichever you prefer. Dress salad according to your preferences. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Spring is the perfect time to adorn your table with a variety of salads. And preparing salads for lunch or dinner also helps you consume your recommended daily allowance of fruits and vegetables. Try these three recipes out next week and enjoy!